Vienna boasts one of the world's most famous culinary traditions.
A diverse yet delectably harmonious range of dishes reflects the city's mix of nationalities and
food cultures through the centuries, and inspires visitors from all over the globe.
Traditional Vienese Cuisine
- Wiener Schnitzel: A speciality originating from the Italian "costoletta milanese" -breadcrumbed and fried veal escalope, frequently served with Erdapfel Salat.
- Erdäpfel Salat: A delicious side dish made from potatoes - especially delicous as a side dish for 'Wiener Schnitzel'!
- Tafelspitz: Choice pieces of boiled beef with classic garnishes.
- Kaiserschmarren: A legend says that this dessert of shredded pancake and stewed fruit was invented for Emperor Franz Joseph.
- Topfenkolatsche: Cheese danish joins apple strudel as one of the most famous specialities - wafer-thin strudel pastry filled with sweet cheese and raisins.